As the proud owner of 11 LAT_56 bags (including two Holdalls), Karsten Mocken is a true LAT_56 veteran. With such extensive experience of our products, we asked if he would be kind enough to write a review for us. What we received is one of the most in-depth, thorough surveys of our products we have ever seen! Karsten, who hails from Ahaus, Germany, gives us an exacting engineer’s take on his collection of LAT_56 bags, including the new Road Warrior rolling luggage.
1. RE_01 RED EYE CARRY-ON GARMENT BAG
- The Red Eye Garment Bag is the perfect solution for a long weekend.
- I just recently noticed that a lot goes into the pocket, despite the relatively rigid design.
- The zipper cover is perfect for separating the two areas from each other and ensures that everything is still in place when opening the bag.
- I still have the first version of the Red Eye Garment Bag, so unfortunately the patented Suit Packing System (SPS) is not big enough for my suit. However, LAT_56 have improved the SPS in the new version so now my suits fit as I learned when purchasing the new Road Warrior luggage, which includes the SPS.
- The SPS is perfect for suits and trousers.
2. RW_01 ROAD WARRIOR CARRY-ON SUITCASE (2-WHEEL) WITH GARMENT BAG
- First impression, madness! Second impression, perfection!
- For the inspector at the airport, who sees hundreds of suitcases a day, the LAT_56 suitcase was very interesting and he particularly praised the case’s exterior material.
- The exterior:
- The usual high quality of workmanship combined with the honeycomb EVA foam.
- Simply brilliant, red LAT_56 wheels that are of unusually good quality for suitcases. Where is my long board??
- The back includes a zippered pocket for quick access to travel documents.
- Toiletries can be accessed via a separate zipped pocket directly from the outside of the case. This means you do not have to open the suitcase when passing the security check.
- The telescopic handle is also accessible via a zipper pocket, revealing the quality of workmanship. The handle is rubberized on both sides and one has a very secure feeling that it will not slip out of your hand. The telescopic handle is very stable and is a good length, so that the suitcase is not treading on your heels.
- The interior:
- The noble, red lining impresses with the usual high quality and I immediately noticed the zipper in the background with which one has access to the internal telescopic handle; a great idea!
- The upper mesh pocket can be reached with a big round zipper.
- There one can find the SPS and small detachable, Velcro mesh pockets. These little bags are designed for underwear and socks, but they were too small for my week stay.
- The SPS has been completely redesigned and is now a little longer, a little better quality and has been made lighter by circular recesses in the rigid part.
- The internal compartment also includes zipped mesh pockets and can be used for other small items.
- As in the Holdall, there is a separate zip pocket, which is designated as a shoe compartment and is secured with LAT56 snaps. It can also be used for dirty clothes when a second pair of shoes are not needed.
3 & 4. HD_01 HOLDALL DUFFEL BAG
- I use my 2 LAT_56 Holdall Duffel Bags as sport bags and I try to visit the gym everyday—and both still look like they did on the first day!
- The large oval top zipper provides easy access to the entire contents.
- The mesh pockets on either end hold my shower toiletries and other trifles, like squash balls, and keep them in place.
- The large compartment is sufficient for my sportswear including sneakers.
- After the gym, everything fits into the separate wet bag and I have my sweaty things nicely separated from my other gear.
- The handles at the top and on both sides are simply brilliant! Perfect for handling the bag in any situation and for storing easily.
- Additionally, there is a shoulder strap, so that travelling longer distances isn’t a problem.
- The bags were also the perfect companion for a short sailing trip; my colleagues were quite envious!
5. MS_02 LAPTOP MESSENGER CASE LARGE (15″)
- Before I bought the Backpack, the Messenger Bag was my mobile office and if it’s a serious business meeting, I use this bag and not the Backpack.
- The smaller pockets include magnetic snaps and the internal laptop compartment is very well thought out and offers all the storage space for a mobile office.
6. BP_01 BACK-PACK
- The Backpack is my mobile office for all missions.
7. iPAD/TABLET TRAVELLER BAG
- I used the Traveller Bag as a constant companion for a short break to Vienna and always had accessible my Kindle, iPad, smartphone, and wallet, as well as all necessary charging cables.
- I used the rear zip pocket for my identification cards and travel documents, such as my plane ticket.
- The bag is almost perfect except for a few minor tweaks
- A smart sleeve strap on the back would still be nice to securely connect it with the telescopic handle of a rolling suitcase.
- Since you can only reach the contents by unzipping the bag all the way, there is a danger of the contents partially falling out. Here I could imagine a foldable panel and zipper on either side of the bag. This way you would be able to only open the bag partially if you wished.
8. GC_01 GLASSES CASE
- I use the Glasses Case for storing different USB sticks and my laser pointer for presentations. For my glasses, the material is a little too supple; when pressure is applied, I think the glasses could be damaged.
9. WB_01 WASHBAG
- The Wash Bag is also the perfect companion for a man and has enough room for all necessary toiletries. The amount of small features continues to surprise me:
- Hook for hanging on the bathroom door.
- Separate mesh pockets with zipper in the inner part of the pocket lid.
- Large compartment, which can also be closed with a zipper.
- Magnetic closures for the bag cover.
- Zipper pocket on the outside.
10. PF_01 PADFOLIO
- The Padfolio’s quality is not to beat, storing my writing tools stylishly.
11. LP_03 LAPTOP CASE
- I’ve recently purchased the large laptop case, my eleventh piece of perfection from LAT_56. It’s a perfect companion when I am walking from one building to the other on our company campus and protects my laptop from sudden downpours. Plus, I’ve already received compliments on the design!